APRN / PA POST GRADUATE FELLOW
Are you ready to take on an expanded nursing role in a variety of clinics and inpatient settings? Can you see yourself making a difference in patient care for Adult and Pediatric populations? Now is the time to explore Advanced Practice opportunities with UNMH! Join a recognized leader in patient care. Apply today!
- Full-Time, Day and Night Shifts
- Level: Mid
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
- At UNMH, you’ll find a world-class care environment that will bring out the best in you. Here, we treat everyone with respect. We listen to our patients, anticipate their needs and make everyone feel welcome.
- Since we work at a teaching hospital, we keep our skills fresh, learn from mistakes, are thorough and accurate, and open to change. We’re also able to think about the big picture without losing sight of the smallest detail.
- Working together, we collaborate and encourage each other, but can also work with autonomy. We share ideas, welcome feedback, and value the diversity of our teams.
- While you build your career with UNMH, we’ll help you excel with ample training and learning opportunities. After all, you’re helping care for people throughout our community, our state, and our region.
What makes a successful Advanced Practice Nurse at UNMH? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
I wanted to stay in a teaching institution. The good thing about nursing here is you can always change your role and change what you do.— Sarah
I feel like we get more people back on the right path than any other place I've been. I think it's because everyone here really cares, from the techs to housekeeping, everywhere.— Danielle
As a travel nurse, I've worked in more than 20 hospitals. The teamwork and care here exceeds anything I've ever seen.— Chris
UNMH offers so many resources. Nurses, doctors, techs, they all want to teach you something. It's the right place for me— Chrissy
It's intense here, for sure. But it's so rewarding. The population that UNMH serves is where I like to work, people that wouldn't necessarily get care elsewhere.— Emjae
Some of the technology we have here, only a handful of hospitals in the country have it. And we're taking it two or three steps further than anywhere else.— Nick
Benefits of Employment
Medical, Dental (Free for full-time) Vision, Healthcare FSA, Dependent Care FSA
Up to 6% UNMH contribution
56 hours Educational leave; CME allowance
Holidays and Sick Days
Life and Disability Insurance
Nursing Mother Rooms, Cafeteria
Close to Public Transportation, Restaurants, and Entertainment
- Job ID
- Advanced Practice Providers
- Inpt APP - Surgery
- Albuquerque, NM
- Date posted
- Pay Rate
- $32.10 - $49.74 Hourly
Sign-on bonus available for internal/external candidates!
--Relocation reimbursement available for external candidates!
--Standard UNMH benefits plus a $1100 CME stipend.
This intensive General Surgery Fellowship is an elective 12-month postgraduate training program for certified nurse practitioners (ACNP or FNP) and physician assistants (PAs) interested in a career in general surgery. The curriculum includes a year of supervised clinical training in various settings, including plastics/burns, emergency general surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, vascular, cardiothoracic, and more. Additional didactic training will focus on core competencies of general surgery. Website: https://hsc.unm.edu/medicine/departments/surgery/fellowships/advanced-practice-provider-fellowship.html
Read these instructions carefully; incomplete applications will not be considered. There is no deadline, but the positions will be closed when they are filled. Start date is typically 4-6 months after accepting the position. Please look over the minimum qualifications before applying. IN ADDITION TO YOUR CV/RESUME In this order, upload in just one PDF document:
1. One-page cover letter outlining your specific interest in pursuing the general surgery APP fellowship
2. Your CV/resume
3. An unofficial transcript from your APRN/PA program
4. A personal statement of 500 words or less: Why are you pursuing an APP fellowship in general surgery? What will you contribute to the program, team, and UNM Hospital? What do diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) mean to you and how will your background, personal life experience, and unique perspective enrich the fellowship program and most importantly the patients served by UNM Hospital?
5. Three letters of recommendation that speak to why you are the ideal candidate for this program (Letters do not have to be the same people you list as references in your application).
Department: Inpt APP - Surgery
Under direct preceptorship, develop the skills necessary to function in internal medicine or surgical areas as an advanced practice provider. Supervision and education utilizing current advanced practice providers, internal medicine or surgical faculty, and educational resources with mentorship. Goals and priorities are in accordance with patient and staff needs and organizational objectives. Ensure adherence to Hospitals and departmental policies and procedures. Patient care proctorship may include neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric age groups.
* PATIENT CARE – Under direct preceptorship, assess, diagnose and develop treatment plans; implement treatment, follow-up and evaluate patient within the scope of practice protocols as outlined by state statute
* PATIENT CARE – Under supervision, perform patient history and physical exams as needed for procedures or admissions; document findings noting pertinent normal and abnormal findings
* PATIENT CARE – Under supervision, complete daily rounds and orders, consultations with nurses, specialist and ancillary staff, discharge summary, transfers, medication management and other orders as required for the management of patient care
* PATIENT CARE - Perform invasive and non-invasive diagnostic and therapeutic procedures under direct supervision
* PATIENT CARE – With direct supervision, interpret appropriate diagnostic procedures and tests. Explain the necessity of preparation, nature, and anticipated effects of procedures to patient and patient’s family
* PATIENT CARE - Evaluate and revise intervention care/treatment plan with patient and family as necessary to achieve improved health under supervision
* PATIENT CARE – Under supervision, provide education for patients and/or families about preventative care, medical issues and use of the prescribed medical treatment
* DOCUMENTATION - Provide accurate documentation of patient care, document orders, directives, procedures and patient responses in the medical record and communicate them to other members of the health care team; maintain accurate, legible and confidential records
* PATIENT CARE - Work as a team member with medical/nursing/counseling staff to provide comprehensive care and promote continuity of care
* ROLE MODEL - Act as a role model through conduct, appearance, communication, mutual respect, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
* RESEARCH - Support research by conducting or participating in research studies; incorporate findings in clinical practice
* EDUCATION- Participation in departmental educational activities including but not limited to didactic education, skill labs, morbidity and mortality division meetings, quality committees as assigned, pre, intra, and postoperative management and care of surgical patients within fellowship curriculum
* DEVELOPMENT - Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reading current literature, attending in-services, meetings and workshops
* PATIENT SAFETY 1 - Follow patient safety-related policies, procedures and protocols
* PATIENT SAFETY 2 - Demonstrate proactive approach to patient safety by seeking opportunities to improve patient safety through questioning of current policies and processes
* PATIENT SAFETY 3 - Identify and report/correct environmental conditions and/or situations that may put a patient at undue risk
* PATIENT SAFETY 4 - Report potential or actual patient safety concerns, medical errors and/or near misses in a timely manner
* PATIENT SAFETY 5 - Encourage patients to actively participate in their own care by asking questions and reporting treatment or situations that they don't understand or may "not seem right"
* Program Graduate
* Advanced Nurse or Physician Assistant
1 year directly related experience
Bilingual English/Keres, Tewa, Tiwa, Towa, Zuni, or Navajo
* CPR for Healthcare/BLS Prov or Prof Rescuers w/in 30 days
* ACLS or PALS (as applicable) within 30 days of hire
* Prescriptive Authority from the State of New Mexico
* State of New Mexico and Federal DEA Certification
* Advanced Practice RN or Physician Asst Lic & NCCPA Cert
* Pediatric Nursing Certification as applicable
Medium Work: Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
* Sig Hazard: Chemicals, Bio Hazardous Materials req PPE
* Sub to credential.failure obtain/maintain may result in term
Recently Viewed Jobs
Sorry, have not recently viewed any jobs. Explore all of our jobs here.
Sorry, you do not have any saved jobs. Explore all of our jobs here.